September has arrived. Which means the autumn album releases are upon us, and what a cracking bunch there are this year. Haim, Chvrches, London Grammar, the Rizzle Kicks, Eliza Doolittle, Deltron 3030, Fatima, Anna Calvi and, the one I’m most excited for, Janelle Monàe, with her sophomore record The Electric Lady.
All these releases have got me thinking. I’ve been sampling far more music than ever before, and I still haven’t found enough time to share it. Not in words at least.
And 2012 was such a great year for music and my own collection that it feels wrong not make a note of some of the greats that didn’t make it into my best of 2012, if only for myself.
So here’s another 15 albums that would have made it into my best of 2012 round-up if I had bought or listened to them at the time (or simply thought to extend my best of to a top 25 instead of merely a top 10).
THE FORGOTTEN 15 OF 2012
- Alabama Shakes – Boys & Girls
- Alt-J – An Awesome Wave
- Bat for Lashes – The Haunted Man
- Django Django – Django Django
- Flying Lotus – Until the Quiet Comes
- Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
- Friends – Manifest!
- Jack White – Blunderbuss
- Jessie Ware – Devotion
- Josephine – Portrait
- Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, Maad City
- Lana Del Rey – Born to Die
- Norah Jones – Little Broken Hearts
- Rachel Zeffira – The Deserters
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Trouble
As for 2013, it’s shaping up to be a huge year. This time I’m going to do a round-up of my top 25 albums minimum in late December. I best get listening.
Image: Island Def Jam Music Group